Saturday, December 17, 2011

Five Festive Ways to Dress for the Holidays

Happy Holidays Everyone! Soon we will all be rushing from house to house, party to party, Christmas to Christmas without much time to think about how we are going to dress for each occasion. I am one of those people who are not a fan of novelty holiday clothing. Christmas themed sweaters are ho-ho-horrible. My distaste for said sweaters has become so well-known that one of my mom's friends bought me an ugly Christmas sweatshirt just to mess with me.

In the picture above I am attempting to be silly under a pile of green, red, light and garland. As you can see my doggie, Kylie, thinks I have lost it. The point I am attempting to get to with all of this is that you don't have to deck yourself out in green, red, snowmen or Santa to dress festively for the holidays. In fact, I am going to show you five ways you can dress with holiday cheer that doesn't involve wearing green or red.

Disclosure:  I took all of these photos outside while it was lightly snowing, so if my clothing looks acid washed, that's why. :)


1. Wear some Sparkle

 I realize this is a fairly obvious one, but I am going to show you how to wear sparkle casually and use it as an accent to an outfit, rather than being the centerpiece.


Wearing a sequined top with jeans and a blazer is a great way to look festive (inspired by twinkling Christmas lights), but not too fancy for your casual family get-togethers.
You can also accent with sparkles. Some people would be much more comfortable with just having a little bling in their outfit.  I used a sequined clutch and shoes, as well as a sparkly headband to add a little holiday spirit to a sweater and leggings.

2. Get inspired by the holiday's supporting cast

What do I mean by this? There are so many things in the holidays that we can get inspired by that aren't Santa or a Christmas tree. You can draw inspiration from anything from twinkling lights and stars, to food and presents.

 This outfit was inspired by the snowfall. I used cream, white and a little sparkle to represent the beauty of snow. Funny story, I didn't have any white leggings, so I turned a leopard pair inside out and the look is actually pretty cool.
This outfit was inspired by a favorite Christmas treat: Gingerbread Men. I actually bought this sweater on clearance shopping the other night because it reminded me of gingerbread. I love the color and the lace top underneath represents the icing. 


3. Put on some fur

Fur is one of those things that reminds me of glamorous holidays in old movies. It also reminds me of carolers that used to go around with fur muffs. There are so many ways to incorporate fur. You can wear it as trim on a sweater, wear a fur scarf, or get some boots with the fur. Yes, I went there. You're singing the song now, aren't you?

You can get dramatic with fur and wear it boldly in a coat. This is actually a thrifted coat that is too large for me, but I made it look more fitted by tying a faux leather belt around it. The boots add a ski bunny feel to this cozy holiday outfit.
 None of the photos of this outfit turned out. Wearing a fur vest like this one is a bit more casual and will keep you cozy at the relative's house that is freezing. You know the one I am talking about, don't you?


4. Silver and Gold

These colors are actually a huge part of the holiday season when you think about it. There are so many ornaments, decorations, wrapping papers and bows that are decked out in, or are at least accented by these colors. Silver and Gold are so popular they even have their own Christmas song. Rudolph anyone?



I found this beautiful icy silver button down in my closet and paired it with a vintage pleated skirt, pearls and patterned tights for a sweet festive look.
I used a black mini-dress and black leggings as a background to really let the gold vest pop. I added a little more bling to the outfit with the gold belt and necklace. A gold or silver dress would be gorgeous for special occasions. I don't really go anywhere fancy during the holidays, but I wish I did!


5. Bows

All of the pretty gifts have one, so why shouldn't you? I must confess that I am a HUGE fan of bows, and I know they aren't for everyone, but just try and tell me a bow isn't festive! They adorn wreaths, doors, and presents during this season and are very easy to wear to give your outfit a little holiday flair! 


I've had this sweet little sweater dress a few years now and I still love it! You could get a similar look with bow-front blouses or maybe even wear a bow tie!




You can wear bows in your hair or on your jewelry. There are a lot of ways to incorporate bows into your holiday ensembles.





 I hope this gives you some ideas to change up your holiday wardrobe, but still look festive!

How will you be dressing for the holidays?

Are all of your get-togethers casual or do you have some fancy places to go?
















60 comments:

  1. These are great tips! I love wearing bows :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favorite post you've written so far. I appreciate all the time and work that went into it; these multiple outfit posts are never easy - esp. in the snow. Outfit #1 is my favorite. Gotta have the bling.

    clotheskarma.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas! I love the bows especially :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. cute tips. you have lots of lovely ideas. i like the inspired christmas outfits.

    www.contentwhateverthecircumstances.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome post! I love your style!

    Please, when you get a chance, would you enter the contest on my blog at
    http://fandml.blogspot.com/2011/12/presents-from-f-revamped-contest.html

    Have a fun weekend!
    xoxx, Monica
    F&ML: Fashion And My Life...

    ReplyDelete
  6. All great tips! love your outfits! but girl weren't you cold!\? peep toes in the cold???? ahhhh

    xo
    www.fluentbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tips - especially the sparkles! And that top photo is priceless.

    xoxo ~ Courtney
    http://sartorialsidelines.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. First off, I LOVE this post!! Your pictures are all fantastic! I especially love the sequin top, and the sweater dress. Where did you get that top? I've been looking for one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome post and great tips! :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. That ring is ADORABLE! I actually bought my very first sequined tank top for festive occasions/going out past 7 at night. I'm pretty excited about it. I'm sorta jealous of all your snow. We won't have any for Christmas this year. :(
    http://stylishsass.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a fabulous post, just like you! Thank you so much for these gorgeous ideas!! I'm loving the gold/silver look and the bow dress the best! I think that whatever I will end up wearing it will be a sparkly and comfy outfit, something like the second pic you posted with that gorgeous silver sweater, purse, and shoes! :)
    Good luck!

    skinnymoonstick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOWOWOWW Kassi are you going to be posting for the rest of the week? These are a lot of great ideas, and I like the sparkle and the fur. I think the same about holiday sweaters...just say no.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely post. Very inspiring! I love the bow sweater dress and how you paired it with those tights. :) Haha, great ideas!

    http://www.trendyteal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the second and the third way :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is my favorite post ever!
    I realize I say this a lot-but you constantly impress me :)
    Love all of your looks. My favorite looks involve tights :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great Idea. I actually wore a Holiday Sweater to work today. It was for fun and I enjoyed wearing it. This is the first time I wore one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hate the holiday themed sweaters, etc as well. They really are quite tacky and are rarely attractive. One lady in my office wears one almost every day in December. Ugh!

    On to your looks... the first "silver & gold" is absolutely my favorite but I really like the snowflake inspired ensemble as well.

    Great job!

    http://theleatherskirt.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I want your bow ring! Also, thank you for this guide. I am loving outfits #1 and #4! By the way, I love that inside out leopard leggings. :D

    P.S. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    Lots of love, B
    http://vivalabreee.blogspot.com/
    Tweet me: Viva_La_Breee

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are some gorgeous looks. Werent you freezing out there?
    www.thoughtsofpaps.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your blog is always so wonderful !!!:)

    A great weekend!
    http://deiafsalim.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. cool all the outfits in the beautiful snow :) I'm following

    Check my blog and follow me if you like :)

    xx

    www.sickbytrend.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really like your ideas, you look so cute, great inspiring post ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. thank you for this post. It abviously will help me

    http://pinkyfashionbeauty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. Loving all these ideas!
    I'm wearing burgundy velvet pants, a gold top, black blazer and leopard sandals! :D
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. We'll love to see this look on Shupalook.com ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. beautiful outfits!! and...it's snowing!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Kassi, brilliant post, it clearly displays whats a fabulous wardrobe of clothes you have. Love them all, thanks for the outfit inspiration :)
    Also, thanks for taking pics in the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ooh I love all of your ideas! I thankfully do not own a single Christmas sweater! I choose the sparkle route when I can - but I love your idea to wear winter whites! :)

    -j
    TORY BURCH GIVEAWAY

    ReplyDelete
  29. Totally agree with you on the holiday sweaters - Love all your holiday looks!!! Silver & gold is my favorite :)

    XO
    www.pearlsandpaws.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. All great outfits...I couldn't even begin to pick a favorite! So perfect for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  31. aw i love all the looks! so beautiful! :)

    katslovefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a great post. The snowy pics are lovely and I especially love the sparkly looks. And I seriously need to get some cute bows to dress up my holiday looks.

    ReplyDelete
  33. love all the ensembles great ideas for the holidays
    http://fashberries.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  34. Sparkle and fur...Two things on my list this year ;)

    XX,
    Miranda

    thechicsheet.net

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love the outfits.<3
    My favorite ones were the 2nd ones.(:
    && btw I want that bow!.

    http://czarinacuison.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  36. Fur, silver, gold and sparkly above all!!!! You look amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. You look so pretty and very Christmas-ish:) My fav is the look No.4! Oh and it's snowing over there!!!;)

    Xx

    Alexandra

    www.fashion-bridge.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love the tips, I already follow some! xx

    ReplyDelete
  39. Such a fun post...love all these holiday elements :)

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  40. hello beautiful, I found your blog and I love it, have much charm, so I'll follow you. kisses a Spanish blogger
    http://patricelowcost.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. Love all these outfits! So beautiful! :)

    http://letsgotonewyorkandhavefun.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  42. All of these outfits are phenomenal Kassi! I can't pick a favorite. They are all beautiful. I especially love that fur coat!! - Dreama

    ReplyDelete
  43. Kassi, I love this post!!! All of these outfits are wonderful and you look stunning in every photo. My favorite outfit is number one :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. Oh, I'll be incorporating a lot of your tips into our Christmas festivities. =) My Little Miss (18-months old) will be wearing the most adorable fur vest with her zebra print leggings on Christmas Eve. She'll be the most stylin' tot at the party, I'm sure. And I think I'll go the sparkly route and wear something sparkly with a pair of jeans or leggings. =)

    I really love all of these looks! Especially that last one with the berry tights!

    ReplyDelete
  45. WOWOWOW- u have soooo many fabulous holiday outfits! I can't believe all the snow you have already!! BRRRR!!! Love ALL of them!!! Amazzzzing styling! Happy holidays cutie!
    kisses
    xThe Beckerman Girls

    www.BeckermanBitePlate.com

    ReplyDelete
  46. Great outfits!! You look fantastic!! You're advice is spot on :)

    ReplyDelete
  47. I just found your blog and I love it! "More random than the lottery," what a great line! Looks like we both live in cold weather states (I'm from Montana). Well, needless to say, I'm now following you! Hope you'll stop by 4scarlet.com and say hi and follow back. XO

    real budget, real busy, real body fashion:
    4scarlet.com

    ReplyDelete
  48. These are so great I cant even pick a favorite!
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  49. i like outfits 1, 2, 3 and 5! thanks for suggestions! My family doesn't really dress up because we stay at home always..
    Dolly, xo
    Unicorns, Heels and American Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  50. These are all fabulous looks!!
    I love the outfit in the 1st photo!!!
    Hope you had a great weekend!!! :-)
    http://fashiondiarylooks4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  51. I love your style; i have serious shoe envy right now! now following your blog hun.
    jen@ www.pret-a-style.com

    ReplyDelete
  52. These outfits are all so cute! You obviously put so much time into this post, thumbs up to that :)

    Julia
    Cup of Tea
    http://cupoftea-style.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  53. Kylie's expression is PRICELESS! HAHAHAHA What a cute pic Kassi. I'm loving your style inspirations for the holidays and how you braved the snow and weather for these pics. All of them are awesome! :D
    http://sassyuptownchic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  54. So many great looks! I think my favorite is the cream one! Cant wait to try these :)
    -Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  55. i love all the looks...but my favorite is the sequin top and blazer and also the all black with gold sweater vest...i love your layering style..you got the talent..awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Awesome post Kassi! Such good advice. :)
    H xo
    www.eatenjoylive.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  57. ох блять, какая она красивая сексуальная девица!.. если бы она была моей девушкой, то каждый раз перед тем как заняться с ней сексом, я бы отходил, чтобы она не видела, доставал сигареты и нервно и долго курил, поглаживая свою твердеющую ширинку. меня трясло бы и сердце колотилось в предвкушении безумного удовольствия, которую может доставить ее девичье тело и божественно нежная вагина... а потом я бы подходил к ней, с заплывшими от никотина глазами...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! Your comments always make me giddy like a school girl on a sugar high. Leave your link so I can creep on you. The good kind of creeping. Not the kind where I hang your pictures in my room or anything. (awkward shuffle)

Fashionably yours,

Kassi

Pronounced KC (like the Sunshine Band)